Saturday, March 16, 2013

Smoothie Fixings

It's the weekend and that means getting ready for the week to come. That means doing those laborious things that take all day - like Green Ice Cubes. For these, there is really no recipe, more like a method.


See my sorry looking spinach? I've been making smoothies all week off this 1 pound container of organic spinach. Now it's starting to turn bad. Time for ice! Fill the container of your blender with spinach and add enough water to allow the mixture to blend. The more water you add, the easier the ice cubes will come out of the tray but then you have a little less spinach per cube. I went for more spinach and ended up having to basically pry each cube out of the tray. In the end, I had about 4 trays worth of cubes. I usually use 3 cubes per smoothie and the bag of ice cubes usually lasts me about 4 weeks. So I got 1 week of fresh spinach plus 4 weeks of spinach cubes so that's 5 weeks of smoothies!! Well give or take. I usually cook breakfast on the weekend so I have a smoothie 5 of 7 days.


Another part of my smoothie ritual is 1/2 a frozen banana. I'm not really a banana fan. They add a creaminess and texture to the smoothies that I can't deny. So a half usually works well and I try to use a banana on the greener side. I have found that freezing a banana in the peel makes it REALLY hard to peel (and really cold, like instant freeze to the fingers) so I peel all the bananas in a bunch and put them in a bag in the freezer. Nom nom nom. Now every morning I just go to the freezer and get my ingredients out and off I go.

2 comments:

  1. This is a really cool idea! Does the spinach still taste relatively fresh when you use it in smoothies or does it have a muted taste?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally add fruit to my smoothies so I don't taste the spinach at all. I also don't notice a difference between frozen or fresh in the smoothies.

      Delete