Sunday, August 17, 2014

CSA Week 4

Here's what's in the box this week:
red potatoes
6 ears of corn
2 zucchini
3 tomatoes
6 jalapeno (+1 leftover from last week)
2 bell pepper


Recipes:
Jalapeno Roasted Chicken
Jalapeno Cornbread
Southwest Meatloaf Minis
Provencal Potato Salad
Tortilla Soup

This is the first week I got too much of something in my box. When I saw that bag of jalapenos, my first thought was to pickle them. But that seemed too easy, plus the box wasn't all that full this week, so if I pickled the jalapenos, I wouldn't have much to eat...plus I am getting tired of corn, so I needed to do some dishes that would have corn but not only corn. That brings to mind Mexican, so Mexican week it is! First thing to do was get the whole chicken out of the freezer I got from my friend the other week when we were making cheese. She suggested roasting it, so when I found the jalapeno roasted chicken recipe, it sounded like a match made in heaven! 


Jalapeno count: 1. Jalapeno butter for the chicken. The recipe used shallot, but the store didn't have them, so I used onions from the CSA box.


Hello, chicken. This turned out lovely - 400 degrees for an hour. Nice and browned. I had the chicken breasts for lunch with some oven roasted potatoes. Then the whole thing went into the stock pot to make soup, jalapeno count: 2. (one went into the stock)


Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread. This 9x13 pan is 12 servings, yikes! Could definitely double the count. For some reason, after all the recipes I looked at, I choose one that didn't have corn in it, so I added 1 cup. Jalapeno count: 4. I cut it up and put most of it in the freezer for when I make chili. One thought, there's 2 sticks of butter in the recipe, it adds a nice butter flavor, but I almost think it's too buttery (is there such a thing?!?) so I might cut back on that in the future. I also didn't get much jalapeno, so I might add even more to the batter next time.


Southwest Meatloaf Minis. Jalapeno count: 6. These are a skinny recipe - I used ground chicken I got from the market last week. Also going in the freezer for later, will be a good lunch.


I baked them in foil cupcake liners, made for a pretty nice clean up. Aren't they cute??


Straying from the Mexican theme is this potato salad. Was getting up there with the potatoes, so knew I had to do something this week. Found this recipe that also happens to have zucchini and tomato, so works out well. Sooooo delicious. You take tuna in oil and use it to make the dressing. Reminds me of being back in Italy. I don't have a steaming apparatus, so I decided to boil the potatoes and sauteed the zucchini. I will have NO trouble eating this up.


Chicken tortilla soup. I followed the recipe by the Pioneer Woman, after I made stock. First, I took the 6 corn cobs and made a corn broth. Then when the roasted chicken was done, everything went into the pot (took the cobs out first). I added in a whole jalapeno that I cross hatched and let it all boil down until the chicken fell apart, a few hours (somewhere in there I added the rest of the can of crushed tomatoes that was used in the Southwest Meatloaf Minis). Then I let the stock cool a bit then put in the fridge overnight. The next day, I skimmed off the fat and picked through the carcass to get out most of the bones and shred up the chicken. After that, I pretty much followed the recipe. In a saute pan, I browned the pepper, onion and garlic, added the spices and tomato paste then added that to the stock pot with some beans I cooked from dry and the can of Rotel - cook for 45 min, add in the cornmeal then cook for 30 min more. After that, I let cool and put into tupperware...which by the way, I am officially out of tupperware.


So at the end of the day, I have 1 jalapeno left. I actually deseeded it because I was thinking I would put it into the meatloaf but had enough. I'd say that was pretty good. Plus I'm counting on getting as many peppers next week and will pickle them then. But then I thought I was getting more cabbage this week....so you never know. I am getting tired of corn and had some leftover to add into the soup and put into the freezer, so if I get more corn, I think I will take a week off corn and put it in the freezer for when I can appreciate it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment