Saturday, October 11, 2014

CSA Week 10

Sorry for the late post. It's been pretty busy around my house since I just got back from my major test and a much needed vacation. Most of the recipes were for my veggie box friend's going away party. So for the next boxes I will be on my own. **tear**

Here's what's in the box this week:
Zucchini
Cabbage
Onions
Potatoes
Acorn squash
Butternut squash
Spaghetti squash
Brussels sprouts
Bell pepper
Eggplant


I used the butternut squash instead of the canned pumpkin. I first roasted it until it was tender. With the canned squash, it is pretty much like a dump cake - you dump all the ingredients into the pan and cook. Tastes just like an upside down pumpkin pie and super easy.


yum, yum, yum


These were a quick weekend breakfast. I took a page from America's Test Kitchen and precooked the potatoes in the microwave. I then put them in the hot pan and didn't disturb them (that's my biggest problem, I can't leave them alone!) Add some fried eggs and a delicious breakfast was had.


America's Test Kitchen zucchini bread...again. this really is the best recipe - they featured it on their radio show recently, so I think you can find the recipe on their website. www.atkradio.com 


I decided to pair the sweet bread with the salty whipped feta cheese dip. The mix was sooo delicious. This dip is really good - veggies and crackers alike are wonderful with this on it. 


Now I wish I had more zucchini - this was so good. Even at room temp, it was perfect. Not sure how it would be reheated, but I don't think we had that problem!


The roasted eggplant dip comes out again. This time I had a red pepper, so it's a different color than last time, just as good. 


The brussel sprout colcannon just sounded delicious. It was a recipe from Gourmet originally and you can tell - way too fussy. Peel the potatoes? Not happening. Whip the potatoes with a mixer? Not happening. Pipe the potato mixture into the brussel sprout leaves? Not happening. Even with all that taken out, it was still really good. I did add in some cheese - what is colcannon without cheese? It was a hit at the party.


This seemed like an interesting use for spaghetti squash and since I was doing all appetizers, it worked out well. I didn't make the pesto as in the recipe, but used my premade pesto. Yummy, but kinda hard to eat. 


Crispy brussel sprouts with garlic aioli. Yum! These were totally gone and that aioli is a keeper.  

No comments:

Post a Comment