Saturday, February 23, 2013

Adventures in the Country

I have finally found the advantages to living in the rural/country areas...one is farm fresh eggs from a friend with chickens. The other is adventures in the most unusual of places.

Last night I had the opportunity to learn Baltic folk dancing from a man that is considered the authority in the field of Baltic folk dancing. I found out about this from a coworker who is Bulgarian and has been in this area for some time. She has hooked up with some people from her home country and they get together on a regular basis...in a barn. That's right, I said it. I went to a Baltic Barn Dance last night, and I had a blast!!

Inside of the Barn
Mariya and Rachel in the dance

The potluck spread
Mariya, Our Instructor, Myself, Rachel
We danced for hours and learned many dances from Romania, Bulgaria, Macedonia and more! It's interesting to note that most of these dances were very similar in principle but each had their own nuances. What a fun night and I hope that this becomes a regular occurrence!!

On a personal note, I loved that the table had a real tablecloth and real plates and silverware. Also when people got there, they all knew where this stuff was and got it out. It was just so homey. If there is anything I can take away from this, I would hope that I have a group of people that I know well enough to invite over for dancing, potluck, wine and laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment