Saturday, February 16, 2013

Israeli Cous Cous with Broccoli and Tomatoes

True to form, I see something I've only heard about at the store and I have to buy it and figure out what to do with it. So when I was at Wegmans a few weeks ago, I saw Israeli Cous Cous in the bulk section and had to get some. In case you're thinking "what the heck is the difference between regular cous cous and this fancy kind from Israel?" Well, I'll tell you, it's much bigger and looks like this:


Kinda like tapioca looking but made of pasta. After looking at various recipes on the internet, I decided to make a pilaf of sorts by toasting the cous cous first then adding chicken stock and cooking until soft. I then had roasted broccoli in the fridge and some cherry tomatoes, and viola! Yummy dinner side. Also quick to put together, another bonus!!


Israeli Cous Cous with Roasted Broccoli and Tomatoes
  • olive oil
  • 3/4c Israeli Cous Cous
  • 1 1/2 c chicken stock
  • salt/pepper
  • 1 pint cherry tomatoes
  • 3 cups roasted broccoli
  • 2 T chopped parsley
  1. Heat olive oil in a small sauce pan (a splash or so). Add cous cous and toast until slightly brown, stirring often. When pasta is brown enough to your liking add chicken stock and bring to a simmer. (I happen to be very impatient when it comes to browning, so my pasta was only slightly brown) Turn heat to low, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the stock is absorbed and the cous cous is soft. (For info on how to make your own stock, see this post.)
  2. While the pasta is cooking, cut tomatoes in half and chop broccoli. I roast broccoli in a similar manner to my asparagus, which you can see by clicking here
  3. Once pasta is cooked, add tomatoes, parsley and broccoli. Taste for seasoning and add salt/pepper to your taste. If I am cooking something in stock, I won't add salt until the end, since there is nothing worse than an overly salty dish. 
  4. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment