Monday, November 4, 2013

Brussels Sprouts...on a stick!

Did you know that brussels sprouts came on a stalk like this?



I thought this would be like cutting the corn off the cob so I put the stalk in a bowl and cut each head off the stalk. Worked great! This of course was after I was running around the kitchen after the first little buggers that rolled off the counter...


I've seen a lot of ways to use these - decided to go for a salad a sauteed sprouts. The recipe for salad was inspired by this recipe. I like the idea of using apple and cheese in the salad.


Love, love, love having all my old kitchen equipment back! The food processor made quick work of the sprouts on a shredding disk.


And since I already had the food processor out, I used the grating disk for the apples. I have a KitchenAid food processor and find that the grating disk is very large, so it works well in this application, but I don't know if it would be good for cheese...


I added a lemon dressing I made last week for a kale salad - it had lemon juice, lemon white balsamic, garlic oil, the picked mustard seeds (as you can tell the turmeric made the dressing very yellow), salt, pepper and italian seasoning. I buzzed that in my Magic Bullet (yes, I still have it - mainly for this application) until smooth. Then add pecorino cheese. Yum! It made a ton - I had this salad every day last week with my lunch. Good thing cabbage doesn't wilt with dressing on it like lettuce does!

The next dish I made with this stalk of sprouts was a sauteed version. First cut the sprouts in half. Add some oil to your pan and saute some shallots (got those at the farmers market in Scranton, so good).


Add the sprouts and saute. Once they turn bright green, add some liquid (I used a chicken stalk cube) and cover to steam for 10ish min over med-low heat or until your liquid has evaporated. Once tender, add some balsamic vinegar (I used a cherry balsamic from Reading Terminal Market in Philly - sorry I'm an oil and vinegar snob).


Guess my German comes out here, I just love vinegar on cabbage!! I prefer my sprouts still on the crunchy side so this dish is quick to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment