Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Pizza Waffle

I know it's been a while since my last post - sorry. Life has gotten busy and it will not slow down anytime soon. I'm starting to study for my boards, to be taken at the end of September, so all my free time is going to that. It doesn't mean I'm not still cooking and taking pictures...I just don't have the time to post about it. Well I will try to keep up, since I still really enjoy blogging....so bear with my absence for a while. To make up for my silence, here is a method that I just couldn't resist when I first saw it....waffles made using puff pastry!!! This idea came from a series of posts a few weeks back on Serious Eats (www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/crispy-flaky-pepperoni-pizza-puff-pastry-waffle-awesome.html). The recipe that really caught my eye was the Pizza Waffle.


First start out with a thawed sheet of puff pastry. It comes in a pack of 2 sheets that are frozen. I took the sheet out of the freezer and put it in the fridge while I was at work. There are some seams that need to be mushed together but that's it. Put your fav pizza topping on the puff pastry- just try to not overload it. 


Now roll up your pizza into a log and pinch together the ends. 


In the middle of this picture, you can see that the roll becomes a spiral. Looks pretty big, right? Now this whole thing goes in your preheated Belgian waffle iron. The guys at Setious Eats had a round waffle iron, mine is a lovely, seasoned hand-me-down from my grandma that is square and it still worked. You need to press down on the iron to make sure the spiral cooks evenly. Cook your waffle until it is very dark - you need to make sure that it is cooked through and it's pretty thick. There is a temp suggested in the recipe but I made the waffles at a friend's house and we didn't have my trusty thermopen - they still were quite delicious!!! 


Be warned! They are very filling. We made 2 for the two of us and we were stuffed after a half! The puff pastry gets nice and crunchy. What a treat (because you should be eating all that butter very often!!!!). Check out their other recipes using this method - sweet and savory. Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment