Saturday, February 15, 2014

Ranch Dip Mix

I love ranch. I pretty much dip everything I can in it. Over the years, I have experimented making it with different bases - cottage cheese (drained and whipped in the food processor), buttermilk, mayo, sour cream, yogurt...but never thought about making the mix from scratch, until now...

This all started one day when I had a hankering for ranch but none to be found. I have seen a few recipes floating around Pinterest for the dip mix and thought I would give it a try - only to find that I did not have one crucial ingredient - dried parsley. So I made a ranch-like dip that was ok for that moment, but I knew I could do better. So after a trip to the store, and a raiding of my spice cabinet, I made Ranch Dip Mix.


The recipe for this is based on this recipe from One Good Thing by Jillee. Of course, when I went to the store, it was a few days after I looked at the recipe and remembered the chives and parsley but forgot the dill weed. I had dill seed and used that instead. 

1/4 c black pepper
1 1/2 c parsley flakes
1/2 c freeze dried chives
1/2 c garlic salt
2 T kosher salt
1/4 c granulated garlic
1/4 c granulated onion
2 T dill seed

Mix all together and store in an air tight container.


To make dip, I usually use a 6oz container of plain greek yogurt, enough half and half to thin to the desired consistency and add 2 T of dip mix. I have found this mix to be a little salty, so adjust the seasoning to your liking. 


Put the dip in the fridge for a little while to thicken up and there it is!


You can use this mix anywhere you would use Ranch Dip mix...sooo yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment