Monday, March 17, 2014

Reuben Casserole

How's everyone enjoying St Patrick's Day? I generally make Corned Beef and Colcannon every year, and this is no exception. I usually try to find the smallest cut I can find, since it has just been me eating for the past little while. This time around, I found a recipe for Reuben Casserole. Genius!


First layer is left over corned beef - I started out making the recipe before I really looked at it...so that should be chopped.


Next a layer of sauerkraut, well drained. This happens to be my homemade kraut - I made this a while back and it's been sitting in the back of my fridge...time to use it! But store bought kraut would work here as well - I would suggest the type you buy in the deli section that is refrigerated...better bugs that way, in the good-for-you sense.



Next Thousand Island Dressing, also homemade - this is ridiculously simple to make, don't buy this!


Mix mayo, ketchup and relish until desired color/taste/consistency. Add hot sauce (just a few dashes). That blue jar is the mayo - homemade too (I'll explain how I made that later).


Top with Swiss Cheese, I had slices, the recipe used shredded. Whatever works - this isn't supposed to be complicated.


Then top with rye bread - this is a loaf I made from my Healthy Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day book, a dill rye. But the marble rye that was used in the original recipe looked equally delicious (and frankly prettier).


Put in a 400 degree oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted. Yum!!! It's pretty much an upside down open faced sandwich. I don't know why I never thought of doing this before!! Maybe because after the initial dinner and then the corned beef hash, there usually isn't enough left for a sandwich!! Well I will be planning appropriately for next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment