Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sausage, Spinach and White Bean Pasta

I love lazy Sundays. It's nice to think of a dish and have the time to make it. Really this dish came together easily if you had canned beans. Since I decided to cook dried beans, that added some additional cooking time. I never think to make dried beans earlier than when I want to make them, so I usually have to utilize the quick soak method. I did somewhat of a hybrid and poured boiling water over beans in a bowl and covered them for a few hours. I usually cook beans like I make stock - add some celery, carrot, garlic, bay leaf and parmesan rind then simmer for an hour and a half or until tender. There is a great debate about weather to salt the beans or not - I salt them, but I usually undersalt.



1 lb spicy italian sausage links
1 10oz box frozen chopped spinach
1 can white beans, rinsed (or 2c home cooked beans)
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1 lemon
2 T flour
1/2 c white wine
1 lb orecchette pasta
salt and pepper
fresh grated parmesan cheese

Put a pot of water to boil on the stove. Remove sausage from links and brown in a dutch oven. Once browned, add in defrosted spinach and beans. Add in lemon zest and flour. Cook for a few minutes until flour is cooked. About this time, the water should be boiling and add in pasta - cook according to package directions. Add in lemon juice and wine, cook until slightly thickened. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper. Once pasta is cooked, add to sauce and top with cheese. 

It was a very tasty dish. If I were to make this again, I would add herbs of some sort - rosemary or parsley...it just needed something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment