Sunday, July 31, 2016

CSA Week 8

Well the veggies keep coming. Seems to be a good variety so far, so I'm very happy about that. In the boxes this week are:
potatoes
bell pepper
jalapeno
cherry bomb peppers
corn
broccoli
onion
zucchini
yellow squash
cucumber
grape tomatoes
red tomato
green tomatoes
leeks
carrots
1/2 loaf rustic loaf
lots and lots of herbs (thanks to a friend for these)



It seems I now have a reputation for making anything into something delicious, thus the extra green tomatoes and the large bundle of herbs (sooo thankful for abundant herb gardens!). I decided to pickle the tomatoes using the left over brine from my pickled chard stems (a huge hit at work, by the way), with some added salt, vinegar and spices. Most of the herbs went into a mixed herb pesto that will be delicious in the coming weeks.



I had some lovely scrambles for breakfast this week with the tomato, a green pepper and one of the ears of corn. The grape tomatoes and cucumber didn't last long either - I just love a cucumber and tomato salad with vinegar.



The potatoes, corn, leeks, bell pepper and a jalapeño were made into a spicy chowder. I made a favorable broth using chicken stock, the corn cobs, rosemary, thyme and oregano. I whizzed it up with my stick blender and it's nice and smooth. Good thing I only used the 1 jalapeño, it has a kick!



The zucchini and summer squash were turned into zoodles and made into a broccoli, cheese and zoodle bake. What a great idea! The recipe calls for kale but I used the leaves from around the broccoli instead, gotta improvise!!



I think I'll use the carrots in a salad when I get more cucumbers.

No comments:

Post a Comment