Sunday, May 19, 2013

Indian Dinner in the Country

Being as rural as we are, it is hard to get good ethnic food. Sure, Philly is only 3 hours away...but that's a 6 hour round trip for Indian! No thanks. When I saw an Indian takeout menu at home come across my RSS feed, I knew this was a chance for a fun time. First, a giant thank you to my co-resident and friend, Ravi for obtaining those very important ingredients - ghee, garam masala (which his dad blended for us!), cardamom pods and an entire grocery bag full of spice mixes that will take me quite some time to use. Secondly, thanks goes to Jei, another friend and recent finisher of a photography class for the very artful pictures.

Menu:
Chicken Tikka Masala
Onion Naan
Spicy Sauteed Spinach AKA Saag
Cilantro Yogurt Sauce AKA Raita

I followed the recipes, so there is no reason for me to just copy and paste them in. The whole affair didn't take too long - I marinated the chicken in the morning, then the rest of the Tikka Masala took about an hour. The spinach took about 10 min, the rice another 15. Made the raita before so it had time for the flavors to meld. The naan was the thing that took a while. That was mainly because I had 1 small skillet and only 4 burners. If I were to make the whole thing again, it may not have taken as long. In the end, the three of us had a marvelous time with Ravi rolling, myself cooking and Jei snapping away, and really, the memories you make while cooking with friends are the best of memories!

the most important ingredient - ghee

Saag

Chicken Tikka Masala
Our solution to no rolling pin - empty wine bottle

naan in the making
naan in the pan

the finished dinner
Sooo yummy! I have to admit that I was a little nervous making Indian food for someone who was Indian, but it got rave reviews as being better than anything you could get in a restaurant. Note, not as good as mom's but I'll take it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment