Sunday, May 5, 2013

Derby de Mayo

I love the Kentucky Derby. I'm not sure why, I'm not a big horse person. I think it's the pageantry, the juleps and of course the hats!

My Derby Hat!
The thing about the Derby this year is that it also happens to be the same weekend as Cinco de Mayo - a "holiday" similar to St. Pattys that is much more popular in the USA than in the country the holiday originated. But any reason to have a theme party is good in my book. So Derby de Mayo it is!

This year I made tacos and beans. Yum. I used this recipe from Bon Appetit, no real changes except that I put it in the slow cooker. Easy peasy. Oh, also I couldn't find cojita cheese so I used feta instead. Worked as a good substitute.

Chiles

Taco


Beans
The bean recipe also came from Bon Appetit. Another winner. I used the leftover bacon fat from the oven cooked bacon seen in this post rather than cook up another batch. Good times were had by all.

No comments:

Post a Comment