Monday, May 6, 2013

Daily Lunch - Salads

Since the beginning of the year, I have pretty consistently made a salad for lunch during the work week. Over these past couple of months, I have gotten pretty quick a whipping up my daily salad. So I thought I would share my tips with you. First, some thoughts on veggie storage:

 
Cucumber
 

Bacon

Arugula
I've become a user of paper towels. I actually don't use them in any other kitchen task so I guess this works. I even re-use them for the next round of veggies. Seems like moisture is your enemy when it comes to fresh veggies. I can usually squeeze 2 weeks out of lettuce with a paper towel on the bottom and top of the container (I use organic greens, they come in a plastic clamshell). I also put a towel with my bell pepper and I wrap my baby cucumbers (but I find they still get slimy - I've been washing them right before I chop them up, the paper towel contains the slime from getting to the other cukes). So here's my salad prep:


2 baby Cucumber

1/4 green pepper

shredded carrot


cauliflower (left over from pizza)

2T bacon, cooked in oven

arugula

Finished Product
Now, I timed this (the next day, when I wasn't taking pictures of each step) and it took me 7 minutes to chop and assemble the salad. So to all of you who think you don't have time to do this in the morning, I say to you - you can! Or you can make it in the evening before, but I'm lazy at night. Usually, I have poached chicken to put on the salad, but I've been using bacon for flavor and protein.  Also, recently, I started making salad dressing. This is something I've found that I really enjoy. Also the Magic Bullet comes into play here:


Before blending

After blending
My ingredient picture is missing mustard - something that is very important when making salad dressing. Mustard has natural emulsifiers that keep the oil and vinegar blended so I can use the dressing for a couple of days and don't have to remix. The general rule in dressing is 2/3 oil to 1/3 vinegar. I usually switch that and really just eyeball a bunch of stuff and add a dollop or 2 of oil. I've been making an Italian style dressing - roasted garlic, mustard, Italian seasoning (a lot), salt, pepper, vinegar, oil. As I said, I'm really enjoying making my own dressing. I get to use up those flavored oils and vinegars...way fun.  Also remember to measure your dressing:



That's 1 oz of dressing, more than enough for my salad. Yum, yum, yum. Now, get chopping!!

No comments:

Post a Comment