Sunday, September 15, 2013

Baked Gnocchi

Things have cooled off considerably around here in NEPA. We've had some crazy fluctuations in temperature - was 90s a few days ago, now in the 60s! I'm loving it, now I can cook in the house without sweating to death. With this turn into the chill, decided to make a recipe I saw in the most recent Food Network Magazine called Baked Gnocchi with Chicken. I seem to have collected a number of magazine subscriptions recently, best make good use of them!

Randomly, when I saw this recipe, I happened to have frozen gnocchi. It was one of those things you see in the grocery store and think to yourself "hmm I'm sure this will be useful in the near future". You don't do that? I've been going to a different store each time I need groceries - just trying to check out what's around me. I've found Aldi (a discount grocery where you bring your own bags or pay for them - they have canned food and fresh/frozen food too), a warehouse store called Redner's (where I happened to come across the gnocchi), MaineSource Food and Party Warehouse (I stumbled upon it after I got my hair cut in Kingston - kinda like a Smart and Final but the produce isn't as good) and Quinn's Market (this seems like it will be my go-to grocery store). The first three places seem to be the type of place you would go to and just pick up what they have - no specific list; but I did find pesto at Aldi, the gnocchi at Redner's and some fresh Italian sausages at MaineSource. Each have their purpose but not your everyday kinda store. So all of that explanation to say that I saw this recipe and had gnocchi on hand and thought that I should make it!




Not exactly as pretty as the picture in the magazine, but tasty nonetheless. The recipe called for fresh gnocchi and I had frozen - I made the bechamel sauce (white sauce thickened with a roux) a little on the runny side so that it would boil the gnocchi in the oven. I also used chicken that I had poached for my salads for the week and the poaching liquid as the chicken stock used in the bechamel. Also instead of whole milk, I used 1% milk. In all, the sauce was a little on the runny side (even after being in the oven) but that didn't bother me. I also had the chance to use my broiler in my new oven, which works very well, thankfully. 

Now I need to find an Asian market in the area, anyone know of any?

No comments:

Post a Comment