Sunday, January 19, 2014

Sundried Tomato and Parmesan Cheese Bread

I'm really enjoying making bread. I found a cook book called Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day. The idea is that there is only 5 minutes of active work time and the rest is rising or baking time. I've been working with the Master Recipe for now and plan to keep working through the book. There's another book with more whole grain recipes that I plan to get into sometime soon. I really like the way things are set up in this book - all the recipes are in volume but also measured in weight. What is also nice is that you make enough dough for a few loaves and it sits in the fridge, so it gets more of a sourdough flavor. And, there is no kneading!


Here's the dough. Another hallmark of this type of dough is that it is wetter than dough that you have to knead. This dough is about a week old. I also added some dried herbs to the flour when I first mixed the dough.


For this bread, you take your dough and roll it out like a pizza. Then spread some olive oil, chopped sundried tomatoes and grated parmesan cheese. Then roll it up like a jelly roll.


Now put the loaf in a pan to rise for 90 min.


After the 90 min, you notice that the bread doesn't rise much.


Bake in a 450 degree oven for 35 minutes. Another hallmark of this style of bread making is that you bake directly on a pizza stone and add steam. I don't have a pizza stone, so have been using the Dutch oven method I used when making my first bread. It works well, but I was making 2 loaves. This is why I put them in the loaf pans. You also put a pan in the oven to hold water to make steam. Eventually, I'll get a pizza stone, but for now what I'm doing is working, so why rock the boat?


Let the loaf cool completely and enjoy. Very tasty bread!! If you are interesting in the Master Recipe, let me know, or check out that cookbook, totally worth it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment