Friday, January 18, 2013

Avocado Egg Salad

I am a collector of recipes. I see ingredients and think about what I can make with them. When I realized that I had 1 hard boiled egg and an avocado, I thought of a recipe by Skinny Taste. Her recipe was for 6 servings, I cut that back for today's snack.


Avocado Egg Salad
1 egg, hard cooked, peeled
1/2 avocado
1 tsp mayo
1 tsp plain greek yogurt
salt
Mrs Dash lemon pepper
splash red wine vinegar

Mix all ingredients together. Add salt, Mrs Dash, vinegar to taste. Serves 1.

I think the egg to avocado ratio was off...too much avocado (if there is such a thing). When I make this again, I would do a 1 egg to 1/4 avocado ratio. I had this as my mid-morning snack today and it was all I could think about until mid-morning came around!!

Now if you notice, I said "hard cooked" not "hard boiled" for my egg. I'm not one to boil my eggs anymore. I have used this recipe by Alton Brown for so long that I don't have to look up the recipe anymore. I used to even put the eggs directly on the rack, but I found that one would always crack.


Here's my solution courtesy of Pinterest, amazing how there are a dozen eggs and 12 muffin tin wells!! One egg still always cracks but it's more contained now.

Baked Eggs
12 eggs
muffin tin

Place 1 egg in each well of the muffin tin. Place in cold oven. Turn oven to 325 degrees and set timer for 30 minutes. Place eggs in bowl of cold running water. Store in refrigerator.

I find the eggs are creamier. They do tend to be harder to peel, at first. After a few days in the fridge, the eggs peel just the same. I also like that I just have to put them in the oven and go off and do something else - no waiting for water to boil.

No comments:

Post a Comment