Thursday, January 24, 2013

Hash Brown Egg Nests

I'm a breakfast lover. "They" say it's the most important meal of the day, I say I love eggs. We had a breakfast at work and of course I had to bring something. I would usually bring something like a strata but that would require that I have to bake it in the morning and trek it the mile or so from the parking lot to the hospital. My second thought were these Hash Brown Egg White Nests from SkinnyTaste. I also was watching the Food Network and saw a recipe for enchiladas on Bobby Dean's Not My Mamma's Meals. So I decided to mix them together, of course!


Green Chile Chicken Enchilada Egg Nests
  • medium to large russet potato
  • small onion
  • salt, pepper, italian seasoning, garlic powder
  • 4 oz cooked chicken, chopped
  • 2 oz canned, chopped green chile
  • salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin
  • 3/4 cup Cabot 50% Reduced Fat jalapeno cheddar
  • 1 carton egg beaters (7 eggs worth)
  • 1/2 cup green enchilada sauce
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Grate potato and onion with a box grater. Season with salt, pepper, italian seasoning and garlic powder to taste (a good sprinkle or two). Line a well oiled muffin tin with about 1/4 cup potato mixture, make sure to evenly press down mixture making a nest. Bake for 20 minutes, or until brown.
  3. Meanwhile, mix chicken, chile, salt, pepper, chili powder and cumin. Adjust seasoning to taste. Evenly distribute mixture among the cooked nests (a heaping spoonful or so). 
  4. Mix egg beaters and enchilada sauce with a pinch of salt (I mixed 1/4 cup enchilada sauce with 3/4 cup egg in my mixing cup x2 so I could easily pour into the muffin tin). Pour evenly on top of chicken, until almost to top of muffin tin (I found I had about 1/4 cup of egg left over). Bake for 20 minutes, or until eggs are mostly done. 
I purposefully undercooked these a smidge, as I knew that I was going to warm these up in the microwave to serve. You could cook these a little longer if you want to eat these directly out of the oven. These were sooo delicious!! Not to spicy and full of flavor, home run. Yum yum yum.

1 comment:

  1. Those look amazing! I wish I lived closer to you and your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete