Saturday, April 27, 2013

A New Hobby...Quilting

I think I've demonstrated thus far that I can cook (perhaps?). I also have other interests but most of them have been out on the back burner since I was in school then residency. Earlier this year, I decided that if I was going to be in Pennsylvania, I should learn to quilt (I guess after that, next would be canning). I have some very basic sewing skills but didn't have a machine or used one in many years. This was going to be an interesting pursuit.

I decided that I needed to start with a class. If anyone is interested, there is a shop in downtown Danville called Rose of Sharin that offers classes and the ladies that own the shop are just wonderful! Through the class I made this (in 2 classes no less)...

my first pieced block

the finalized topper
back from the shop, all quilted

a closer look at the quilting
I decided to let the shop do the heavy lifting and paid for them to do the quilting. They have what is called a "long arm quilter" with a computer that does fancy quilting. I still have to do the binding but then it is finished! Yay!

I have learned that to quilt is actually the hardest and most time consuming part (and one that I don't really want to do myself). The topper is pieced together then you add the batting then the back and quilt it together.  I took up stained glass last fall and of the two, I like quilting more. Fabric is way more forgiving than glass. I also have signed up for another class, so more pictures to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment