Sunday, April 21, 2013

Skittles Vodka and Drunken Gummy Bears, oh my!!

Ah, Pinterest! What would we do without it? All I can say is that I'm glad it came post-college or I would never have gotten any work done!! 

A friend of mine from work just moved into a new house (her first house! awww). She was having a housewarming party this weekend and I decided to use recreate some of my favorite Pinterest finds - Drunken Gummy Bears and Skittles Vodka

BEFORE

AFTER

Look, how cute he is!! This one's fairly simple - put gummies in bowl, cover with vodka, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. How long seems to be the question. On some sites, it said to wait only 8 or so hours, others said 1 week. I decided to go for 24 hours. The outside was squishy but the middle still had some tooth to it. 

The vodka I used was what I would call a mid-grade vodka. Not Grey Goose, not Popov's. It was on sale and was something I would just drink regularly. In the gummies, it packed some serious punch, in the Skittles, you couldn't even taste it. So you can choose your libation at your leisure.


24 hours later

See that more opaque stuff at the top? That needs to be filtered out.


ewwww
Skittles Vodka
2- 1lb bags skittles
vodka
empty bottles

Separate skittles into flavors. Place flavors into bottles. Add 1.5 cups vodka to each bottle. Let sit 24 hours. Filter vodka using coffee filters. Freeze. 

Simple enough. It was a lot of work. If I were to do this again, I might prefilter with cheese cloth then use the coffee filter. It took a REALLY long time for the liquor to filter. Really was just a pain. BUT all good things to those who wait...


It was pretty tasty. I was worried with that many candies dissolved in vodka it would be too sweet so I mixed it with tonic. I thought it was a good combo. My next drink was with club soda - liquid skittles. Not really my favorite so I'll stick with the tonic. 

Oh and a warning - the green skittles is now green apple not lime...my world has been shaken!!

2 comments:

  1. The gummies look seriously delish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could be persuaded to make them for your bachlorette...I might go for vanilla or whipped flavored vodka next time. :)

      Delete