Saturday, April 20, 2013

Cauliflower Pizza

I'm not really into fads - what IS with that mustache thing anyway? But when I saw the newest coolest thing floating around Pinterest was a pizza crust made out of cauliflower...I just couldn't resist. Particularly since it looked so easy!


So first you start with cauliflower. Break it down into manageable pieces. Then grate. I found that it is easier to grate the florets part first. Then you end up with a pile of small bits. Put all of that in a microwave safe bowl and microwave uncovered (don't add any water or anything) for 8 minutes.

I grated the whole head - that's enough to make 2 pizzas. So take out 1.5 cups and set aside. To make the crust, add 1 egg, 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, 1T italian seasoning, 1 tsp garlic powder, salt/pepper. Mix together. Dump the mixture out onto a lined baking pan - I used parchment for the first pizza and foil for the second one. I found that the pizza on the parchment was evenly browned but not very crisp, the pizza on the foil was crisper around the edges but not browned in the middle - take your pick. Once the crumb mixture is on the pan, pat it into a flat round that looks like a pizza. Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.


Once your crust is cooked, top it like any pizza. I decided to add tomato sauce and just cheese. I wanted to see how the crust actually tasted. So turn the oven to broil and cook your toppings until the cheese has melted - about 3-4 minutes. Cut and serve.

Sorry for the poor "after" picture, I was too excited to taste it and ate some before I remembered I needed to take a picture!! All in all, I would say it was very tasty and that I would make it again. Great substitute for pizza and pretty quick to make too. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment